Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I got a letter in the mail saying that they had an a person

Customer Question

I got a letter in the mail saying that they had an a person with the same last name as myself that had died and had left 3,5 million USD and that if I wanted to collect the money ...I went through the process and then they wanted money to ..release the funds
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: I am not sure ..they sent a check as I told them that I could not afford it..the check was no good .
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you sent any money?

In any event this is a scam. Such types of scams, better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:

{C}· You are contacted, usually out of the blue, and promised a large sum of money from an inheritance. The usual story is that you have a long-lost relative who has left money in their will, or a stranger has named you as a beneficiary in their will.

{C}· Before you are entitled to receive this sum of money, you are asked to pay certain fees, such as legal costs, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. In reality, if you would not be expected to pay any fees upfront and the reasons stated are not genuine. They may actually send you a check which is supposed to cover the fees. However the check will be fake and by the time you realise that, which could take up to a couple of weeks, you would have already sent the money assuming it will be covered by the check.

{C}· Another clue is the dubious methods by which you are expected to pay that money. Usually it is through Western Union, Moneygram, or by buying pre-paid cards or vouchers. All methods are commonly used by fraudsters as the recipient is extremely difficult, if not impossible to trace..

DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.