Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is for real or not. They sent me an email telling me if I

Customer Question

Is***@******.*** for real or not.
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: They sent me an email telling me if I pay x amount they will pay me x amount, that it is their way 9f giving back. Is this real
JA: I'm the fraud examiner's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I told them I would be checking to see if this was a scam and they said that was fine.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: They said to send the money by western union to Linda Campos, Victoria, Texas 77901
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

No. This is a scam.

This is simply some unscrupulous person using Bill Gates' name to try to sucker you into wiring your money away to a common thief for something you won't get because it doesn't really exist.

The tipoff is the generic email address, the fact that the money is not going to Gates but to some woman in Texas, the up front fee which is the #1 sign of fraud, and the use of Western Union, the scammer's favorite means of payment.

There are bunches of scams like this on the web which try to convince innocent victims that Bill Gates has somehow singled them out from thin air to bestow a fortune on them. You can see various scam reports and warnings here.

Don't fall for it. Cease contact with the thieves. Send them no money. Report the fraud to the FBI online at IC3.gov

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.