Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was scammed of $21,500 from a supposedly UK resident worn

Customer Question

I was scammed of $21,500 from a supposedly rich UK resident worn in Switzerland by the name of Andy L Wingolf who has a son, Kelvin J Wingolf. Have you heard of them before ?
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the fraud examiner can help you best.
Customer: He requested to be facebook friends, I said yes. I corresponded with him
JA: Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: (a widower) and hid 13 year old son who went to Virginia for a baseball tournament. Andy was working as a civil enginerr in Turkey and Syria.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Although we have not heard of the name, that means nothing. Scammers change their names as often as you change your clothes to keep one step ahead of law enforcement. We have heard the same story, however, many times every day. It's the "stranded traveler scam."

Here's how it works:

You meet a guy on Facebook or some dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He sweeps you completely off of your feet and is everything you always wanted in a man. You can't believe your luck.

Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor. He promises you love, happiness, wealth, future, forever. He says he's got a lot of money.

Before he can finally meet you, however, he tells you he must travel abroad for work purposes, and he ends up supposedly in some country that's neither his nor yours. Generally, he will claim that he's got a government contract abroad, typically, but not always, in a high scam country.

Once supposedly there, he suddenly turns into the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure , for example, and he can't afford the repairs. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

In short, he's stranded abroad and claims that only by wiring him money can he get back home to your waiting arms.

There are bunches of excuses like this and they go on forever. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you from your money. You can see more of them here.

Romancescams.org/TypesOfScams.html

Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will. He isn't real and nothing he will tell you about himself will check out.

If he hasn't asked you for money yet or tried to involve you somehow in his finances he will.

Once talk of love turns to money with any online romance you have not developed a real-time actual in-person dating relationship with, you are being scammed. Each and every time.

I know you think you care for him and would rather believe him than me. So feel free to upload photos of him or pictures of any documents he's sent you when you reply to me on this question thread. I may be able to prove that he's a fraud with harder evidence.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His email was hacked sometime in May/June. There was several accounts of his activities on the internet under the name
Andy L Wingolf but I was not able to read them. Can you research them and make them available for me to read ?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I find nothing on the web about Andy L Wingolf except a link to a Facebook page that has been removed. I would have no ability to access his old emails. For that kind of thing, you'd have to hire the services of a private investigator and even they might not have the technological know-how to come up with that.

You need to report him as a fraud to the police and to the the Canada Anti-Fraud Centre. As he claimed to have been living in the UK, you could also report him to the UK's national anti-Fraud Centre at ActionFraud.police.uk

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.