Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I sent $300.00 a company called to ONLINE TECHHELP LLC. BY

Customer Question

I sent $300.00 a company called to ONLINE TECHHELP LLC. BY CHECK ONLINE...THEN THEY CALLED AND SAID THEY WERE CANCELLING CHECK AND TO SEND $300.00 IN ITUNES i DID BUT THEY SAID THEY WOULD NEED MORE MONEY AND THEY WOULD SEND ME A 700.00 CHECK...i'M VERY CONFUSED AND THEY HAVE ALL BANKING ACCOUNT NUMBERS help i AM 73 & confused. They gave me a phone number of(###) ###-####
JA: The fraud examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the fraud examiner should know?
Customer: The person I talked to was Shaun Stone ext.420
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

You have fallen for a computer tech scam and you have set yourself up as well for identity theft.

Here's how the computer fraud works:

Typically, it begins when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact a tech company.

In reality that pop-up is malware planted on a website by a computer scammer. If you have anti-virus software on your computer, that can alert you to most infections. But apart from that, no other company can tell you for sure that there is a virus on your computer unless you give them remote access to your files. So the pop-up is a lie, and it contains a virus besides.

Scammers of this kind generally try to make you think that they are affiliated with Microsoft, which is not true. They do this so that you will trust them and call their number and thus walk right into their scam.

In reality, the actual Microsoft has no idea what is going on in any Microsoft computer unless you call their technical support. They do not monitor computers. They never contact people out of the blue and warn them of an infected computer.

What these computer scammers do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money, for problems that they are creating with remote access.

Worse that that, if you also let them into your computer, they can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and get your passwords and break into your financial accounts. So if the above sounds like what happened to you, you are at great risk, not just because they have your bank account number but because they can also hack into your computer and get into all of your accounts.

If the you have not given these folks remote access, cut these scammers off altogether and consider yourself very lucky. There is nothing really wrong with your computer. But you would want to talk to your bank, tell them that you think your account may be compromised and see whether they think it's a good idea for you to close your account and open a new one that they don't know of.

If you did give them remote access, on the other hand, or if they gave you software to install in your computer, you need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of the pin numbers and passwords.

From there, if you can find out who and where this company really is, you can take legal action against them for the return of your money. But most important is your computer security.

You would also want to monitor your financial accounts carefully so that you can report any unauthorized withdrawals and get your money back.

Following those precautions should keep your identity secure.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.