Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Who can I talk to about a lottery ticket scam add a

Customer Question

Who can I talk to about a lottery ticket scam add a convenient store
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Can you provide more details to put your question in context?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What investigation department do I need to talk to for lottery scams I don't know who the ask these questions to help me.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I need to know the nature of the scam before I can direct you to what you should do.

Did you buy an actual lottery ticket from an authorized vendor for a state lottery? And was there some problem with that ticket?

Or did you get an out of the blue unsolicited message that you won a lottery from someone requiring an up front fee?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Please answer my question here on this question thread. The site has said there was a processing error with your payment for the phone call, and I am not able to call you unless/until customer service sorts that out with you.

Meanwhile, we can proceed here.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I was hoping to hear from you before having to type up an answer.

Where you report this depends upon the nature of the scam. If you went to a place which is licensed to sell lottery tickets in your state and you feel that the vendor was doing some tampering with the system to defraud you in some way, then what you'd have to do is report this to the Lottery Commission. They are the ones that look into such irregularities. You would also want to report such a fraud to your police and to your state attorney general.

If on the other hand, you received an unsolicited message that you were the winner of a lottery you'd never entered and you paid money up front to claim your non-existent winnings, that's an outright scam and there was never any real contest involved. That you would report as a crime to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to ask further follow ups about this incident for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.