Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

A good friend of mine called me and told me she was called

Customer Question

A good friend of mine called me and told me she was called by publishers clearing house and that's she'd won the grand prize...all she'd have to do is go to the bank and pay the state taxes...I told her i thought this was a scam...but thought I'd check with you first.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the fraud examiner can help you. Is there anything else the fraud examiner should be aware of?
Customer: No...but the caller's name was ***** *****...general manager of publisher clearing house.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Yes, this is ABSOLUTELY a scam. If your friend had truly won a prize from PCH, she would never be asked to pay a dime to collect her winnings. All taxes, fees and other costs would simply be paid from the prize winnings themselves. PCH confirms so much on their own website, wherein they state:

"At PCH the winning is always free and you NEVER have to pay to claim a prize award. Recognizing the difference between legitimate sweepstakes and other types of offers that may not be legitimate will help you protect yourself and your family. If someone contacts you claiming to be from PCH, and tells you that you’ve won a prize award – then asks you to send a payment or money card in order to claim the prize – STOP! You have not heard from the real PCH."

PCH also states: "At Publishers Clearing House we do not notify our contest winners by phone."

Your friend needs to immediately cease all contact with these scammers and above all refrain from sending any money.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer to your question?