Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I received a text message on my phone telling me that i had

Customer Question

I received a text message on my phone telling me that i had won money in a UK LOTTO PROMOTION AWARD 2016, I then emailed the accompanying email address and received a response from a person by the name of "mike steward", his email address was***@******.***. He claims that permission was received from my government to collect seven million mobile numbers to which three winners would be selected and that I am one of them. He claims that in order to process my prize money that I need to provide details such as my full name, home address, age, sex, occupation etc. How am I to know if this is a scam and if possible would you be able to check the authenticity of this promotion for me. Many Thanks, *****
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: I got this persons name wrong, it's Steward Mike apparently from the processing department of UK MOBILE LOTTERY 2016 PROMO. He provided me with a reference number of my claim that's about all the information I have at this stage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

This is a complete scam. Lottery winners are not chosen from the population at random, or from a database of mobile numbers with permission granted from the government. That is actually preposterous. This is a phishing scam to get you to reveal personal information that will later be used to commit identity theft. They will also likely ask you for money to get your prize and then disappear once you pay it.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to Scamwatch here.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get paid for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.