Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Are there grant scams involving this phone number 202 930

Customer Question

are there grant scams involving this phone number 202 930 n3492
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: they told me I have a government grant worth 8700.00 but I needed to go get an itune card for 250.00 and all would be put into my account
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

I am unable to find any reports on this number yet, but that is simply because scammers register new phone numbers all the time and it usually take a few days for reports to come through. The fact remains, though, that you are dealing with a scam and there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Grants are not awarded randomly to the population at large. They are awarded following a lengthy and complicated application process and are generally only to fund matters determined to be in the greater public interest, such as education, cancer research and solar energy. Nobody is going to call you on the phone one day and tell you that you have free grant money waiting. It just doesn't happen like that.

The big give away here, though, is that you are being asked to pay something to get your grant. You would never, ever have to pay a DIME to get grant money. In fact, it doesn't even make sense when you think about it--if the government has money for you, why would they need you to send money in order for them to send you money? Costs and fees would simply be absorbed into the grant.

The government would also never ask you for an iTunes gift card. What purpose would the federal government have with an iTunes card? For that matter, what purpose would any legitimate company have with that? iTunes cards are not a legitimate form of currency and if you are ever asked to send one to someone you don't know, odds are close to 100% you are dealing with a scam and the scammer wants the gift card from you because it's non-refundabe and impossible to trace. That's the only reason this would be requested.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10

Is ten your rating of me? If so, I appreciate it. If you had any other questions just let me know. Otherwise, if you could use the stars at the top of your page to input your official rating, that's how I actually get credited for my time and so it would be very much appreciated.