Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

I read the story above and I think it's related to my

Customer Question

Hi, I read the story above and I think it's related to my situation now, but I already sent the guy the money he asked for, it's a big amount of money. And I am nervous rightnow, I don't know what to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What story are you referring to?
What is your situation and question for us?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I met a guy online, he told me he go oversea to work on the contract of tancheng construction company, a week later , he told me he had lost his wallet and asked me to send money for him so he can pay the workers, I did send the money. When he ready to check off at the airport, he said someone put illegal drug to his luggage and he had to go to court with the lawyer, then he asked for more money, and I did the sending. After the court, he said he got the fine, then asked for money again, I also did the same,now he said the immigration demand money cause he stay over the time be allowed. I don't know what to do now?
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the sad answer is that there is nothing you can do about the money you sent him already. These scams all come out of Nigeria or Ghana for the most part and they all have these stories that they are some type of professional (doctor, engineer etc) and have some hard luck such as robbery, lost money, company has not sent funds but they are on the way etc. They are called Romance Scams (see: https://ghana.usembassy.gov/romance_scam.html).
Sadly, they use public internet and disposable prepaid phones, so they cannot be traced. Their online profiles are stolen from real people or they make up names that are so common it is impossible to find out who they are. Once money is sent to them it is gone and there is no legal action to bring because they are not only unable to be identified, but they are not within the jurisdiction of the US courts or law enforcement. Also, countries like Nigeria and Ghana have pretty much no enforcement on these crimes and some victims even get emails and calls from people claiming to be the police or some other official sounding agency claiming they will get the money back but ask for payment to do so (real law enforcement does not charge to recover money for a victim and this is just another scam).
So his new hard luck story is just that, a hard luck story and DO NOT SEND HIM A PENNY more and cut off contact with him. You can report him to the FBI as well, http://www.ic3.gov, but all they can do if he is out of the US is track the scam in their database.