Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

Got a phone call I won money, power ball lottery and

Customer Question

got a phone call I won money
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: power ball lottery and sweepstakes co
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: I don't know if it is real
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Powerball cannot and does not notify people when they win. This is because people purchase Powerball tickets by paying cash. They do not leave a name or give any other identifying information. It's also because the organization that runs the lottery keeps the money in a bank account, earning interest, until a prize is claimed. They're not going to pay out earlier than they have to. It's up to people who buy tickets to check the winning numbers and notify the lottery company if they win. Anyone who tells you otherwise is scamming you.

The real powerball has issued warnings about this type of scam on their website.

http://www.powerball.com/Common-scams.asp

It is impossible to win a contest without entering. Anyone who calls to tell you that you've won a lottery or sweepstakes you don't remember entering is lying to you. They're just trying to convince you that you've won so they can talk you into paying a small, upfront fee to collect a prize. The prize never materializes. It's a scam.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?