Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Just received my first assignment with Mystery Shoper, Inc.

Customer Question

Just received my first assignment with Mystery Shoper, Inc. With insturctions to shop at walmart, then deposit 793.00 of the moneys sent to me on a Money Gram to test Money Gram, am a little suspicious
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: answerd on e-mail for mystery shoppers and I would receive compensation and sent the money to do the shopping. Received a Money Orer for $995, to be deposited in my banking account, which I have done, then I am to go to walmart an spend $40.00 on my choice of merchendise to keep. Then purchase a Money Gram which costs $12.00 and send $793.00 to another person, keeping $150.00 for myself. Is this a ligimate business?
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: I am 77
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I continue with this mystery shopper job?

I am typing a response to you, please hang on for a moment...

This is a scam. Real mystery shopping jobs do not ask you to ever send back money via money gram. They also don't ask you to use your personal bank account to make purchases.

The way this scam works is that the money order sent to the victim is bad. The victim deposits the money into their account, and since the victim's bank doesn't immediately detect that the check is bad the funds initially appear in the victim's balance. The victim then sends money back to the scammer in reliance on the money they see in their account, but when the victim's bank realizes the check is actually bad they revoke those funds, leaving the victim out of pocket what they sent to the scammer.

You must immediately notify your bank of the bad check that was deposited. They will correct the issue. You must also discontinue further contact with this scammer.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much, I will not do any more business with these people, you have saved me a lot of heartacke. Information was must helpful

I am very glad I could help you avoid this scam. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Are you still with me?