RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

If someone is using your address to get a service is it

Customer Question

If someone is using your address to get a service is it fraud
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Mail is coming to my address- not in my name but any collection agency is looking for payment
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: The name on account has not lived here for 10 years but continues after he got out of prison
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today.

I'm not quite sure I understand and I want to make sure I'm clear. Are you saying the person used to live at your address years ago, but now continues to get mail at your house? And that a collection agency is sending bills to your house for them?

Without your response to my inquiry it is difficult to ensure that I am answering your question properly. However, I think you are asking if it's illegal for someone to use your address?

It's not generally unlawful, though it can be in certain contexts. If the address is being used fraudulently to obtain a public benefit, to register to vote, to avoid law enforcement, etc., then it usually constitutes a criminal offense.

Also, if this person's actions (whether deliberate or accidental) somehow caused you damages, you could have a civil cause of action against them. However, that is pretty unlikely and there is probably no money of theirs to get.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLYand I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.