Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I was told that I won a $7800 grant, but I must buy a

Customer Question

I was told that I won a $7800 grant, but I must buy a $250.00 ITunes card. The person I talked to by phone said he was with the "Federal Government Grant Fund Dept.".
Are you familiar with this. ITunes with a Grant doesn't make sense to me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This is a scam. The government does not charge a person to receive grants. Also, the only way to get a grant is to submit an application. It's not something you can be randomly chosen for. You have to find grants that you're qualified for, and fill out the extensive application. It takes hours to apply for a grant at best. Anyone who contacts you and tells you that you've received a grant you didn't put in for is lying. Also, there is no Federal Government Grant Fund Dept.

The government has actually warned about this type of scam on their website:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0113-government-grant-scams

Do not send them anything. If they call or reply, don't even respond. They're just trying to steal your money.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?