How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23947
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On pressure from his father, a man I met on an on line

Customer Question

On pressure from his father, a man I met on an on line dating site I purchased $300,000 of truck leases from his son.The rate of return was 30% or around that. I asked for a weekly payout of 1200 dollars. I had just retired at 62 and needed an income. He formed an llc for me and all was going fine for a year..then payments were missed , checks bounced and he is now 11 months behind in paying me. He wont answer phone or texts. His father was a con I found out with bankruptcies and a judgment against him from GE. He is out of my life when I found that he had moved 4 times in 4 years to hide his assets.
The son seems a crook like his father. As I said I am now 65 with little or no income not on social security yet till may of 2017. I own .my own home but am in debt to my ears. I need to catch his son and get at least some of what he has stole from me back. Please, I need some one to help me
How do I proceed? I can't afford an attorney . Can I go after him through the IRS or a federal Marshall. I live in WI and he supposedly operates out of Kendallville IN and lives in Marshall MI.
I haven't been able to find him. I don't believe he wants to be found. Like his father I thnk his business and phone are in anothers name, likely his wife ,sons, or daughters and he is hiding
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. how long ago did all this happen?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

I was hoping to get a bit more information, but I will give you a response now. If you have further questions about my answer, you can post a reply when you're back on line, and I can clarify or amend my answer.

If you can get the authorities interested in prosecuting this person, you don't need a lawyer. The state or the Federal government will represent your interests in court, and they do that for free.

You would need to go to the police and/or to the FBI and make out a report, letting them know that this thief ran off with your money and that you would like him prosecuted. Law enforcement has the tools and staff to be able to try and find this person, while the only way you could do this would be to hire a private investigator, for which you don't have money.

Even though this makes out fraud, it is entirely possible that the criminal justice authorities will tell you that because you gave him the money voluntarily and because he did for a while pay you back, this matter should be handled in civil court.

If the state and Federal government refuse to investigate and bring charges against this person, you are not going to be able to avail yourself of the criminal justice system to get your funds back. Nobody, not even the President of the United States himself, can make a prosecutor take on a matter that they do not wish to pursue.

That would mean you'd have to sue him to get justice, and because the funds are too substantial for small claims court, you'd have to retain a lawyer and sue him in civil court.

There are lawyers who will take a case on contingency. That is, you pay for only their filing fees and up front expenses but they defer their actual fees until they win your case. If they lose it, you will pay nothing. So you can get some free or inexpensive initial consultations with some civil trial lawyers with general practices and see if they might take your matter on contingency.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.