Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I've been catfished for $50 thousand dollars. I know how

Customer Question

I've been catfished for $50 thousand dollars. I know how stupid I have been. Just didn't want to believe it. what can I do now
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I have a phone number. Been talking to him for a year and sending money. Says he lives in Van Couver Washington. Spent the last yearoverseas on an oil rig outside of Aberdeen Scotland. I hav e the name of the person who picked up the money as well along wiht an address. Can I ever get any of the money bakc?
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of? We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: I can give you the name he uses. His email. A copy of a purported passport and supposed pictures of this guy
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Yes, you can certainly reply with what information you have and upload photos of him and his passport as well.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will have to do that from my other computer at home. His name is***** (he does sound Italian). Says he is a structural engineer and worked for Weatherford but just retired. Born August 10, 1966. He doesn't show up any where online. Met him on linkedin. He has 2 phone numbers. ***-***-****45104. The other number is(###) ###-#### Please help me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You're asking for money too. I am tired of giving people money. How do I know that you are legitimate
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 days ago.

Unfortunately, as you already know now, you fell for a romance scam. This guy no more works on an oil rig than I do, and the only reason he claimed to be somewhere off shore and isolated from civilization was so that he would an excuse to keep asking you for money. However, if he could contact you, he could have contacted his bank, his credit card carriers and his creditors. If he were for real, he wouldn't have needed your funds at all.

A money request, coming from an online romance you have not yet met on real time, is the #1 sign of a fraud. It is not what legitimate suitors do, and regardless of the reason for the request, it always means you've got a scammer.

If you can find him you can try to sue him for the return of the money that you thought you loaned him, but finding him is going to be a job for law enforcement. As you more than suspect, he has set you up and orchestrated everything so that he could literally disappear into cyberspace with your money. Not one syllable of what he told you is going to turn out to be true.

That means you need to report the fraud to your police and to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. Turn over to them all of the information you have about him. The only way you will be able to get your money back is if the authorities can find out who, what, and where he really is and bring him to justice.

You can also report him to ActionFraud at, which is the UK's national anti-fraud agency. However, I have to warn you that the technology that allows a scammer to fake who they are is better than the technology that allows law enforcement to find him. The odds of recovery are very, very low, and the overwhelming majority of these scammers get completely away with their crimes.

Short of the above and hiring a private investigator, there is nothing else you can do to try to catch him. There are, however, several things you can do to warn others, and if you're interested in that, let me know in your reply and I'll add to my answer.

I will check out the information you gave me, but I'd still like to see pictures and the passport. This is, however, a typical "stranded traveler" fraud, and there is literally no possibility this man will be legitimate.

As far as JustAnswer is concerned, you can check it out by looking it up with the Better Business Bureau, where it has an A+ rating and is accredited with them. This site has been around for 14 years.

They do offer premium services, which would cost you extra money if you want them. I do not send those to you. They are auto generated and strictly optional on your part. For the amount of money you have already agreed to pay when you posted your question, you can continue to post your information here on this question thread and engage in dialogue with me for no additional cost.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 days ago.

As for the information you have given me, the 205 phone number would appear to have a SEattle, Washington area code, but it actually is a VOIP -- voice over internet protocol -- meaning it's not a real phone. He's contacting you over the internet. He's got an account with Twilio -- there's no way to get the name of the account holder -- which has apps that assign you a phone number that can appear to be from anywhere in the word, and he can therefore call and text you from what looks like "washington" but of course isn't.

The other phone number looks like a UK number but a 704 exchanges are assigned to call forwarding services. This is also a way that people can pay a fee to make it appear that they are in the UK, when in fact their calls are forwarded on from other places such as Ghana, Nigeria and Malaysia. Scammers use these all the time. There's no reason for a legitimate UK caller to want to pay for a 704 exchange.

The name Giovanna Guiseppe has been associated with romance fraud as far back as 2015. You can see that here. Scroll down to the next to last post where the name is mentioned

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The phones make sense because everytime he calls it says unavailable, restricted or some other number. I would like to crawl under a rock somewhere for being so stupid. My sons and my soon to be ex husband have no idea about this. I am so embarassed that I could be so stupid. I have many pictures in my one drive at home and a couple of emails. Here I thought being a professional that Linkedin would be a scam
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 days ago.

Yes. They are not real phone numbers. But I was able to trace the carrier of the "washington" number to Twilio, and we are aware of the use of 704 exchanges in the UK.

Unfortunately LinkedIn is like Facebook in that the site itself does nothing to verify member content. So while the majority of profiles are legitimate, there is plenty of fraud on Linked In.

The key, though, is always the dizzying rush to romance followed by a money request. If a stranger walked up to you on the street, told you he loved you and asked you for $50,000, you'd report him to the police. It's the same on the web. Legitimate suitors who have never met you would never try to impress you by taking your funds. But these guys are very good at what they do, and they sweep you off of your feet so that you forget that you're really talking to a stranger.

I look forward to seeing the photos and the "passport" when you can.