PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I attended some so call antique items from internet

Customer Question

I attended some so call antique items from internet auctions. Later I found most of the items are the fake ones. The sellers' products are recently made is China but the marks is hundreds years ago. I brought the items to San Francisco Asian art museum let them inspect. They stated that the products are made in late 20 century or in 21 century. The same conclusion was made in a professional Asian antique association in Oakland CA. My transection totally is above 20,000 dollars. I have made an agreement between I and the auctioneers that they don't take responsibility on the items they sold.
But I think such a business practice can't be existed for the reason it is illegal. In U.S. the products on market must have the original country made but not mark as hundreds years ago some dynasty like made in Victoria dynasty and so on. Besides, if the items suppliers selling such high price they either not claim the value through the customs or smuggled to U.S.
I have consulted some professionals China antique businessmen and specialists, most of so call Chinese antique on line business are fake. This is a very big business. hundreds of millions transection dollars amount happened on every year and now is still going on. Tens and hundred million of tax was lost for government.
I visited FBI office in San Francisco and made a report. They said they have to see how many people report such practice. I don't think they listen to me. So I ask for help from you.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 3 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to file complaint with your Attorney General's Office and see if the office would be a better help for you. It is an unfair and deceptive act and practice for the auctioneers to be selling items that are fake regardless of the contract you signed with them agreeing not to sue them. That contract could be regarded as null and void, if it can be proved that the auctioneers know that most of the items are fake. Your consent to the contract in that instance would be considered to have been obtained by fraud rending the contract you signed not to hold them responsible not enforceable and thus you can go after them for selling the fake items.

You may consider retaining the services of a local consumer Attorney to file lawsuit against the auctioneers and the sellers for the unfair and deceptive act and practice. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to file this lawsuit.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

I am with you regarding your impression of the FBI. It is unlikely that they would do anything. They do not seem to be interested if the issue does not involve a celebrity or a high profile crime organization. I am talking of course from personal experience with them.

This site does not offer legal representation. So, the Attorneys on the site cannot represent you.

Goodluck with your case,