Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Holder 12026976282 federal government grant. True or scam?

Eric Holder***********federal government grant. True or scam?
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Received text from a facebook contact stating how happy she was she just received $50,000 in federal grant. She asked if I knew the attorney above and provided this number and said to text him for help. Sent text but unable to contact friend via facebook. Sent text to Holder same replied to search federal government grant site and then a message the next day if I was ready to apply for grant.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: Have not responded to the last text. Unable to contact my friend via facebook using same method she contacted me. Google the number is ***** that it could be a fraud number.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

This is a scam, and it's very well known.

You were not communicating with your actual Facebook friend, which is why you couldn't contact him. His contact information has been hacked and a scammer is impersonating him to try to get all of his Facebook friends to send money to claim a grant of some sort that doesn't really exist. This is called Facebook account cloning and it has become a serious problem.

You can read more about this fraud here.

The US government doesn't reward its citizens by suddenly giving them thousands of dollars in any form.

You cannot just be handed a government grant. They must be applied for, and the application is pretty elaborate because the grants are difficult to get and hotly contested for. Additionally, private individuals cannot ever get a Federal grant. They are given to organizations and to agencies to fund research and other types of worthy work.

You can see the warning about grant scams from the Federal Trade Commission below.

On the website, which is where one applies to get a real Federal grant, the warning says:

"No government grant-making agency will make phone calls; send email or letters to solicit money or personal banking information from a potential grant recipient.

There are no processing fees for federal grants. Federal grants are not issued for personal use, but are intended for institutions and non-profits to carry out projects with a public purpose."

You need to report this as a crime to your police and also to the FBI. The FBI has a special website for crimes of this kind called their Internet Crime Complaint Center, and you can report it there. That website is

You also need to contact Facebook about this and get your "friend's" cloned profile taken down. It would also be a good idea to reach out to your friend via normal channels and inform him that his account has been hacked so that he can reach out to his Facebook friends and warn them not to fall for the scam.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it.

If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to ask further follow ups about this incident for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you

You're very welcome.

If you've sent money, you can sue the scammer if you can find who and where he really is, but that's a job for law enforcement. However, as the victim of a crime your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So you'll be able to get some of your money back in the form of a deduction once you file your 2016 taxes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks again. Did not send money wanted to research first.

I'm glad you thought to do that!