Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I am looking for Alex Sanders age 57 to see if he is a

Customer Question

I am looking for Alex Sanders age 57 to see if he is a scammer.
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Lives in Syracuse N.Y. Age 57
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: Has a son named John 14. Alex is widowed. He was born in Brazil
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Please tell me if he has left New York to travel abroad. Has he asked you for money yet? Do you have a picture or him that you can upload to this question thread?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 days ago.

I was hoping to hear from you, but I can post an answer. If you have more information you think I need to know, you can reply to this question thread and I will address your further concerns and revise or expand my opinion.

You cannot tell a scammer from his name and a US state. Scammers use fake names and change them as often as you change your shoes.

People who ask a question like yours are almost always involved with an online romance, and something about it doesn't sit quite right. That's because in a romance scam, there is no real relationship. There's just a rush to a quick commitment to set the victim up for what is typically called the stranded traveler scam.

You will know that you've got a scammer if the following scenario sounds familiar:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He is everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck. Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor. He promises you love, happiness, wealth, future, forever.

Whatever his profession, however, before he can finally meet you he tells you he must travel abroad for work purposes, and he ends up supposedly in some country that's neither his nor yours. Generally, he will claim that he's got a government contract abroad, typically, but not always, in a high scam country such as Ghana, Nigeria or Malaysia.

Once there, he suddenly turns into the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure , for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill. In short, he's stranded abroad and claims that only by wiring him money can he get back home to your waiting arms.

There are bunches of excuses like this. You can see a good list of them here. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you from your money. Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will.

He is not who, what or where you think he is. And if you've sent money, you've been wiring it directly to a ring of thieves hiding behind the photo of an appealing man.

Once talk of love turns to money with any online romance you have not developed a real-time actual in-person dating relationship with, you are being scammed. Each and every time.

I know that you probably have figured a lot of this out for yourself or you wouldn't be writing in, but I want to remove any doubt. If I haven't convinced you yet that he's a fraud, please upload photos of him with your reply to this question thread, and I will look for more concrete information if you need it.

If I have convinced you, however, you're the victim of a crime. If you've sent money, your only chance of recovering anything is if law enforcement can find out who and where he really is and bring him to justice. So you should report him to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at, and anywhere else you can to warn others.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.