Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a 4 month old computer that I felt was having some

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old computer that I felt was having some problems.. a company called slimAV said they were from mocrisoft and can help with my computer . the fee was outrageous I felt at the time 500.00 in 3 payments of 154 It has been 3 days now and my computer is acting like it did when they started. di you know if I have been scammed I have not contacted them back yet Patricia Collar
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: they had full access to my computer for hrs... I watched some of what they did but not all. my computer is still running slow, ther is a long running script in internet explorer that causes problems when I play my pogo games. I still freeze & get booted from games constantly loosing internet connection on friends wfi even though he is playing his computer right beside me.. they have only paid the 1st payment and if they are bad I need to notify the bank to stop future payments which are 2 more I am on a living expense of $75 a month. please advise they said they were part of Microsoft
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Do you have a website for this company? How did you learn of them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
slimAV***********
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have all ready spent more money than I can afford and it these people are scamers then I want to cancel and get my money back..what ever they did o my computer is not working better in fact it is slower
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there someone here or am I just typing to the air??
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

I asked you for a website, and you've given me a toll free number. I also asked you how you found them. Can you please answer my questions so that I can look into the company? Toll free numbers are not traceable.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ty only iinfo I have on them is SlimAV and their phone number
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Okay. Please give me a few minutes to type an answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
let me check on my screen will be right back better yet will check my bank statement
from bank statement slimwre premium NY S58628465511928 $154.00
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

I believe that you have fallen for a well known scam. The names of the companies involve change all the time, and you don't have a website that allows me to investigate them. But what you have described fits the pattern to perfection, unfortunately.

Here's how the computer fraud works:

Typically, it begins when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft. Scammers of this kind generally try to make you think that they are affiliated with Microsoft, which is not true. Microsoft has its own customer support service. They don't farm out business to other tech support companies. In fact, Microsoft warns consumers about dealing with companies who claim to be affiliated with Microsoft. Scammers only use the Microsoft name so that you will trust them and grant them remote access to your machine.

In reality, the actual Microsoft has no idea what is going on in any Microsoft computer unless you call their technical support. They do not monitor computers. They never contact people out of the blue and warn them of an infected computer. The number you were told to call is NOT Microsoft's.

What these computer scammers do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money, for problems that they are creating as they go along, with remote access.

Worse that that, if you also let them into your computer, they can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and allows them to get your passwords and break into your financial accounts. So if the above sounds like what happened to you, you are at great risk.

If you have given them remote access or if they gave you software to install in your computer, you need to take immediate precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of the pin numbers and passwords.

From there, if you can find out who and where this company really is, you can take legal action against them for the return of your money. But most important is your computer security.

You also want to monitor your financial accounts carefully so that you can report any unauthorized withdrawals and get your money back. If you paid by credit card, for example, you want to report the scam to your card carrier, initiate a chargeback so that the fee you paid is refunded and then cancel that card and open up a new one.

If you paid through your bank account with a debit card, talk to your bank and cancel that card -- better safe than sorry -- and open up a new one.

Following those precautions should keep all of your accounts secure.

Report the scam to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am at the point that I don't know who to trust any more...I have been told that to get the proper help you don't need to pay large sums of money and I have spent mooney for help How do I get ahold of Microsoft for help and know that I am in the right hands?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Microsoft's Customer Service number is *****(###) ###-####

With a four month old computer, your product should still be under warranty, and you have been advised correctly that to get the proper help you don't need to pay large sums of money.

What you should NOT do is go back to the company that scammed you in the first place. If you can find where they really are, you can sue them in small claims court for the money. But I more than suspect that finding them will be a police matter.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.