Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

How can you find out the person that is texting and emailing

Customer Question

How can you find out the person that is texting and emailing you is indeed that person
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: i have communicating with someone here in the us and then he went to Africa and all i WANT TO KNOW IS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: no ... I just want to know if indeed the person is who he says he is..
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
his name is Jensen
Taylor from sequim wash

Thank you.

If you met someone online, have not yet met them in person, and now this individual is claiming to have traveled to Africa, chances are extremely high that you are dealing with a romance scam. Scams of this kind are unfortunately quite common online. The way they essentially work is the scammer poses as someone else on a dating site, using fake pictures and a fake story, and develops a relationship with the victim. After trust has been developed, the scammer "travels" to Africa (of course, they have been there all along, since as noted above most of these scammers are from west Africa), then comes up with a reason why the victim must send him money. If the victim sends money, the scammer comes up with another reason for more, and more, until the victim eventually gives up or runs out of cash.

Fortunately, there are a couple easy things you can do to help you confirm you are dealing with a scam. As noted above, these scammers always use fake pictures that they have stolen off the internet. Since a scammer's pictures will virtually never be of themselves, you can confirm whether this person is a scammer by asking them for a unique picture--something they could not have possibly have obtained in advance--such as a picture of his driver's license up to his face, holding up 8 fingers, or something else very specific that he would not already have a picture of. If he says no or makes up an excuse, you have your additional confirmation of a fraud.

Another way to determine if this is a scam is to conduct a "reverse image search" on the pictures they HAVE sent you. has developed a new technology that allows you to input an image and see where, if anywhere else, that image appears on the internet. If you input this man's pictures and they show up elsewhere on the internet in a different context, that may prove that the pictures don't belong to the person you are corresponding with at all. Keep in mind that Tin Eye doesn't index every picture that is on the internet, and sometimes scammers use new pictures, so the absence of a picture on Tin Eye should not be regarded as proof this person is for real.

To summarize, a tremendous number of dating scams are perpetrated online every day, mostly originating from west Africa, so any time you ever meet someone online who claims to then travel there odds are extremely high you are dealing with a scam. That said, if you desire additional confirmation you may be able to determine if this person is legitimate by requesting a UNIQUE picture (since scammers are using stolen pictures from the internet and won't be able to provide this) or by conducting a reverse image search to find out if the pictures are stolen from another source.

In the mean time, exercise extreme caution and, whatever you do, don't send any money to this person.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....