Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I received a call today with whom claimed to be the IRS

Customer Question

I received a call today with whom claimed to be the IRS stating I had a case filed against me for tax evasion. I called the number they referred me to and they asked if my name and address was correct. When I told them yes thay said my call was being recorded and would be happy to check my case number. Then they hung up. I have called the number several times since and a recording comes on and says my call cannot be completed as dialed. How can this be real because my husband and I file taxes yearly?
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

The answer is that it's not real. This is actually an extremely common scam. Criminals pose as the IRS and call up hundreds of people telling them they are being prosecuted for tax fraud or something of that kind.

First, the IRS would conduct an AUDIT of your taxes before reaching any sort of conclusion that you have engaged in fraud. Second, if the IRS filed a lawsuit against you they would NOT call you on the telephone to tell you about it. By law, they would be REQUIRED to have a process server personally deliver a copy of the papers to you. That is how all lawsuits must begin and it simply does not happen by phone call.

It is safe to ignore further calls, which you will likely receive since you engaged with the scammer initially. Once they smell blood they can be persistent for a few days or even weeks.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....