Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Is the company known as Countrywide austral in melbourne,

Customer Question

Is the company known as Countrywide austral in melbourne , Australia a scam ?
And how long will it take for you to determine what the answer to this question is ?
I need to know the answer by Monday morning.
Also if I am not satisfied with the answer i am given then how would I go about getting my money back ?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am running out of time , I am using the library computer system to access the internet and the library is about to close , so I have to log off. Please note I have allready paid to have my question answered , so could you please send the answer to my question to my inbox , my email address is***@******.***
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 15 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 15 days ago.

Sorry for the delay. JustAnswer is a US website, and you posted your question in the wee hours of the morning over here, where most experts would be asleep. I saw it and responded to your post as soon as I woke up.

Countrywide Astral would appear to be a legitimate business. By that, I mean that it is lawfully incorporated in your country, actually exists and has done so for several years now.

I looked at the website's WHOIS information and learned that the company domain name was registered and the company website was launched in 2010. The website was last updated in November 2015. Its IP address traces to Australia, the site registrant gives his name and company ABN numer. The details are as follows:

Registrant: Countrywide Austral Pty Limited
Registrant ID: ABN 83 146 901 797
Eligibility Type: Company

Registrant Contact ID: CWA2010
Registrant Contact Name: Eduardo Agnes Jr

All of the above show indicia of legitimacy. I then went to ASIC and checked out the registration information. The ABN number on the registration does turn up on ASIC as belonging to Countrywide Austral Pty, Ltd. in Victoria. And sure enough, it was registered in Australia and has actively been doing business under that name since October 2010.

You can see this for yourself and other information as well by going to ASIC's website and doing an ABN search of their register for company 83 146 901 797.

So, in answer to your question, this is an actual business that has been actively operating in Australia for at least six years now under that name. That means that if you contract with them, you would have the same full protection of your country's laws and consumer protection agencies as you would against any other legitimate Australian business if you have problems that the company won't resolve.

All of the above said, there are negative reports on the web about their marketing practices. You can see a thread about this here. Countrywide actively solicits companies to advertise in their publications, by making those businesses believe they are supporting, for example, the police, when in fact, the publications are on behalf of the police and other agencies but the advertising money would appear to go to Countrywide to fund the publications. Various people contacted by Countrywide have felt deceived and have reported their practices to the ACCC.

But are they legitimate in the sense that they are actual? Yes. Do they really publish materials on behalf of non-profit organizations? Yes they do. But if you were contacted by someone claiming to be a police officer and asking you to advertise in one of Countrywide's publications, are you raising money for the police? No, at least not directly. The police would arguably benefit from the publication, but the money goes to Countrywide to pay for that. While probably not unlawful, Countrywide's business ethics would appear to be somewhat questionable.

If you have further questions about this business, please reply on this question thread and I will further assist you. If I have aleready addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or 5 stars, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work here. You would still be able to ask further follow ups about this company for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 13 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.