Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer

I have been corresponding with a man claiming to be shumate

Customer Question

i have been corresponding with a man claiming to be david shumate in kabul afghanistan. he claims he is a sgt and has a son. he states that he has sent me suitcases with gold and money from a find in afghanistan and it is being detained along with courier at ohare interntional airport. he said he needs 26,700 dollars to have these sent to me. im fairly certain he is a scammer. i have sent money for his son to global delivery services in atlanta, always a different receiver. now he is angry i cannot sent the money to get suitcases. his email is***@******.***
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: i want him to reimburse me for monies previously sent. i have receipts. is global delivery service really a company? they use outlook to communicate
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.
Hello. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

STOP! Do not send money to this person. There is no gold waiting at Ohare and no soldier. The person with whom you are corresponding is a criminal trying to steal as much money from you as they can convince you to send.

Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

This is a very common scam and the people who perpetrate these do so from outside the US, out of the reach of US law enforcement, operating in countries with little interest in stopping them.

Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

For those reasons it is unlikely you will be able to get back any money you may have already sent.

In the meantime, block his number from your phone and his email from your computer.

Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

Are you still online with me?

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:
"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.