Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I found a property on craigslist for rent and i think i am

Customer Question

I found a property on craigslist for rent and i think i am being scammed
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: The property was on craigslist, so i emailed the poster and they emailed me that I can go look at the house but not the inside because she is on contract work in New York for 1-2 years. When i went to view the home there was a for sale sign. When i asked the owner about this she explained that she was going to sell it but the real estate company and her were not agreeing on a price so therefore she is just going to rent it out herself. We have been contacting via email and text only.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: She sent me a lease agreement and rental application and told me to send it back and then she would review it and accept it then i could send her money and then she would send me the keys to the apartment. The address is***** Hagerstown, MD, 21740
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Yes, what you are describing is a classic scam. In general you should NEVER rent from someone unless they can personally show you the inside of the house. Otherwise you risk this sort of scam, where people from outside of the country post "for rent" ads on properties they don't own (very often the properties are for sale, which enables them to use those pictures and get information from the sales posting on the property) and then collect up front money for the lease.

If you want to do a bit of detective work, and it really shouldn't be that hard, google the address of the property and find the actual sales listing. It should contain the realtor's information. Call the realtor and ask if they know anything about this "rental." Odds are close to 100% they have no idea, and of course they have no idea because the real owner of the property did not put it up for rent.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....