Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I believe this guy who said he would pay me as soon as he

Customer Question

I believe this guy who said he would pay me as soon as he gets to USA has scammed me,because upon arrival to USA 2 weeks ago, He said he was picked at the airport and under police custody and will be imprisoned for fraud on his personal account. I sent him almost 300, 000.plus and also he made use of my bank line of credit in the amount of 53,000 plus and my credit cards of almost 10,000 K.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: He has been saying that we would get married when he comes. We exchanged lots of emails since August 2015. Also I have copies of all the money transactions I sent him, I have also text messages from him.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you sent this person the kind of money you did. He is indeed a romance scammer, but you've come to that conclusion too late, unfortunately.

The name of this romance scam is "The Stranded Traveler." Here's how it works:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He is everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck. Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor. He promises you love, happiness, wealth, future, forever.

Whatever his profession, however, before he can finally meet you he tells you he must travel abroad for work purposes, and he ends up supposedly in some country that's neither his nor yours. Generally, he will claim that he's got a government contract abroad, usually in a high scam country such as Ghana, Nigeria or Malaysia.

Once there, he suddenly turns into the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure , for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

There are bunches of excuses like this. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you from your money. Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will.

He is not who, what or where you think he is. You've been wiring money directly to a ring of thieves hiding behind the photo of an appealing man.

Once talk of love turns to money with any online romance you have not developed a real-time actual in-person dating relationship with, you are being scammed. Each and every time.

I know that you have figured a lot of this out for yourself, but I want to remove any doubt. If I haven't convinced you yet that he's a fraud, please upload photos of him with your reply to this question thread, and I will look for more concrete information if you need it.

If I have convinced you, however, you're the victim of a crime. If you've sent money, your only chance of recovering anything is if law enforcement can find out who and where he really is and bring him to justice. So you should report him to your police and to the Canada anti-fraud Centre, and anywhere else you can to warn others.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.