RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS .. I HAVE SENT 1250.00 TO

Customer Question

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS .. I HAVE SENT 1250.00 TO THIS GRANT (FEDERAL GOVR. GRANT PLACE AND TEY ARE ASKING FOR 950.00 MORE? FOR 35,000 TO START UP A DAYCARE BUSINESS HERE IN ORLANDO..ITS BEEN 2 MONTHS AND NOW THEY ARE ASKING FOR MORE.
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: I HAVE MY WESTERN UNION PAYMENTS AND NAME OF PERSON WHOM I SENT IT TO IN CHICAGO? AND THIS GUY ON FACEBOOK WHOM I HAVEGIVEN HIM MY BANK INFO AND ALL. IN WHICH MY BANK IS NOW INVESTIGATING THIS.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, there are a number of scammers out there who take advantage of people looking for government grants. The fact that you have to pay money up front and by Western Union (which cannot be traced) is worrisome. What is the name of the company you are dealing with?

You haven't replied back to my initial question inquiry, but allow me to provide you with some more information as unfortunately from the limited information you provided, I do believe you have been the victim of a scam.

If you have to pay money to claim a “free” government grant, it isn’t really free. A real government agency won’t ask you to pay a processing fee for a grant that you have already been awarded — or to pay for a list of grant-making institutions. The names of agencies and foundations that award grants are available for free at any public library or on the Internet. The only official access point for all federal grant-making agencies is www.grants.gov. I have personally never heard of a person being contacted about a legitimate grant over Facebook.

Be alert to scammers who claim to be from government agencies. Again, they're not just going to reach out to you. And although they may use official sounding names like the "Federal Grants Administration", there actually is no such government agency.

If you think you may have been a victim of a government grant scam the Federal Trade commission (FTC) recommends that you file a complaint with the FTC online, or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-***-***-****); The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Regrettably, wired funds cannot be traced, so the likelihood of actually recovering the money you have wired is highly unlikely. However, you may wish to speak to an accountant about claiming the money you paid on your taxes as a loss as it can reduce your tax liability next year. I realize it's not nearly the same as getting the money back, but it is something.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!