Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am negotiating with a South African company Reghan

Customer Question

Good afternoon I am negotiating with a South African company Reghan Holdings Pty Ltd in Johannesburg to supply large quantities of Ammonium Nitrate to Australian Peat Technologies I cannot find their website and am concerned they might be scammers regards ***** *****
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: The company is listed as being at*****Braamfontein Johannesburg Gauteng 2001 Phone +7630617963
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: I am concerned that they do not have a website I have asked for references from clients
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

How did you become aware of this company?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I searched manufacturers and exporters of Ammonium Nitrate in South Africa Reghan Holdings was listed and responded with a price and specifications I am concerned they do not appear to have a website I have asked for their company registration ect
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problems I will have a contact in South Africa check them out thank you David Wallis
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I have looked up the company on Cipro, which is South Africa's corporate register. They have no listings for any South Africa company named Reghan Holdings. That's a very bad sign. A valid company should be registered with the authorities.

I cannot call you at this hour. It is 4:30 AM here and I am only just awakening

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

They should have a company identification number which you can verify on Cipro. Cipro is searchable and public, making it very easy to validate a South Africa business. That a name search won't work is a bad sign, particularly when there is also no website.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Also, the address you have given me is a huge office building. Any company really doing business there would have a suite number, or their company address would be insufficient. It also looks like the address may be virtual rather than actual, as you can obtain mail drop services at that address for a nominal monthly fee. Finally, the phone number traces to a mobile phone.

All things considered, this looks not to be a legitimate company: no registration, no website, no landline, no verifiable address.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Zoey I have received documentation from Reghan Holdings and a copy of their registration with CIPC
The certificate shows the company was registered on 12 March 2008 registration number 2008/086757/06
They have also supplied export permits and tax clearance certificates
I know all these documents can be falsified hence my contact with you I will undertake a search with CIPC to verify
the registration
We will initially be handing over about $ 12,000 and I want to be sure we are not being scammed
I am happy to pay whatever it costs to verify this company can I forward the documentation received to you ?
Kind regards *****
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I don't find any such company on Cipc with the registration information of 2008/086757/06. I will attach the screenshot showing that this is an invalid number.

This morning when I ran the name of Reghan Holdings, the search said there was no company. Tonight when I just ran it again, I found it. It looks like it was registered in 2016. Their company registration number is *****

I'm attaching another screen shot of what I found this time.

Other information is available from CIPC It's free to register in order to search Cipc and free to do name or company registration number search, from there all additional information about the company requires fees paid to the government of South Africa.

JustAnswer is a general information service. We can't act as your representative as that is against the terms of service of the site. We can basically just guide you towards a solution for the problem. It's easy enough for you to open an account to search Cipc. They require your contact information and a passport number. With that and a credit card number you can order all the additional information you need to find out if the company has given you true information.

That said, I can look over your documents if you upload them, and see what else I might be able to find out.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.