Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Who is kate or in Nigeria?

Customer Question

who is Mary kate williams or Johnson in Nigeria?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

You cannot tell a scammer by her name, since they change their names all the time. You tell a scammer by what they do.

If they fall in love with you at warp speed and then try to seduce you into sending gifts and money to them, that is the hallmark of a romance scammer. NO legitimate woman truly interested in forming a relationship would ask a stranger for money. A request for gifts or money is the #1 sign of an online scam.

Here are all of the signs of an internet romance fraud.

- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.

- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.

- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or a problem with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs for trying to get back home with her goods. These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others. You can see a very good list of the excuses here.

No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.

- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.

Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money.

If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.

If you're still not sure whether you have found yourself a scammer, give me some additional information about her and also upload photos of her to this question thread so that I can investigate further.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.