How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23541
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know how to catch this guy that scammed me

Customer Question

I would like to know how to catch this guy that scammed me
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

What was the nature of the scam? Do you know who and where he actually is?

Please reply to this question thread with your response.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

The overwhelming number of internet scammers prey on their victims from out of the country. The countries they come from are usually third world countries where police are happy to look the other way on non-violent matters where the victims are abroad.

This means it is very difficult to catch a scammer. They are outside of the reach of US law and law enforcement. And their own governments are generally soft on this type of crime. Worse yet, scammers are almost always professional thieves, and they know how to literally disappear in cyberspace. Everything about them, from their name through their email and computer IP addresses can be easily falsified. Tracing them typically will lead to one dead end after another.

If you know who your scammer really is and if you know where to find him, your remedy is simple. You can hire an attorney to sue him for his fraud or seek to have him arrested and prosecuted. If he is out of the country, your best bet would be to hire a lawyer over there to bring suit. If you sue him here, even if you were to win a judgment, you may well have to go to court in his or her country anyhow, to get his court to recognize and enforce a US judgment against one of their own citizens. This is not always easy.

If you don't know who or where he really is, then unless you want to hire an international private investigator, finding your scammer would be a job for law enforcement. Typically, you would report a scammer to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at You would also report him to your police. The FBI is partnered on their website with Interpol, which can distribute your complaint and information about your scammer to law enforcement agencies around the globe.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Fraud Examiner Questions