Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

A person from Amazon wants to charge me money for amazon to

Customer Question

A person from Amazon wants to charge me money for amazon to build a web site for me to earn commissions from my web sight. I'm checking I don't want to be scammed. thank you. ***@******.*** My phone number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Oops, sorry for the overpost. Please disregard.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me how you learned of this opportunity? Did you get an unsolicited call?

I ask that because we fairly often hear of scams that try to sucker victims into thinking that they are going to be making heaps of money by selling Amazon products.

Amazon does have affiliate programs where you can offer their goods on your website. You have to have a website to do this, but once you've got one, Amazon does not charge you anything to be an affiliate. Amazon itself will NOT design your website. So, if this company claims they are Amazon and wants to design a website for you, you are being scammed.

If it's not Amazon, but a different company which is interested in setting you up with a website so that you can sell Amazon products, what you need from them -- assuming that the company you're dealing with is reputable -- is the development of your website and the marketing that will put yourself out there so that someone will choose your affiilate site to make a purchase from Amazon, instead of going to Amazon or to someone else's site.

Affiliate work can generate money, but those who do best at it have a site that already draws lots of traffic so that people can do one-stop shopping. We get a lot of complaints about companies like yours who claim to set you up to make big bucks on Amazon, where, in fact, you are far more likely not to make back the cost of your investment, because nobody is ever going to find your website.

The best kind of work at home jobs are the ones that pay you. The ones who take anyone who will pay THEM will generally cost you more than they are worth.

If you can give me the name of the company that contacted you and a website or a snail mail address for them, I can look into them and see if what I find will change my mind. But right now this sounds like the garden variety scam. You may or may not get a functional website, but it is not likely to draw any traffic and you're not going to end up with a viable business.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.