Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I GOT TO KNOW THIS AMERICAN SOLDIER DEPLOYED IN NIGERIA. HE

Customer Question

HELLO MY NAME IS***** I GOT TO KNOW THIS AMERICAN SOLDIER DEPLOYED IN NIGERIA. HE IS ALWAYS ASKING ME FOR MONEY HIS NAME IS ***** ***** CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, you've got yourself a romance scammer. I can tell you this for two reasons:

1) He's asking you for money. A real US soldier deployed abroad makes a good living and has complete access to his own funds everywhere in the world. He wouldn't need yours.

Any time an online romance you have never actually met and established a committed real-time dating relationship asks you for money, you are being defrauded. There is no exception to that rule.

2) The US does not have any troops in Nigeria.

I realize you may not want to believe me, so here are two ways you can discover for yourself that you've got a military scammer, and they are foolproof:

1) Ask your scammer for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should have us.army.mil immediately to the right of the @ sign. It should look like David.Williams @us.army.mil

If the email address doesn't end in us.army.mil on the rightmost side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period.

2) Get his full name, military ID number (which is also his social security number) and full date of birth and and search for him on the US military's website. This too, is not classified information and, in fact, would be information he'd have to disclose if he were ever captured. The site I have linked you is an official government site and should tell you if he is a soldier. If he won't tell you, then you know he's a scammer. He has no reason to refuse to give it to you. If he does but the site doesn't recognize him or contradicts what he's told you, that tells you he's a scammer too.

3) This last doesn't always work, but when it does it's really dramatic:

Upload his photo to Google's Search by Image and see if the same photo is being used all over the web on a bunch of different names and profiles. If you can't figure out how to use Search by Image you can send the photo to me and I can do this for you.

Once you know he is a fraud, cease all contact with him. Send no money. Report him to the FBI at IC3.gov

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.