Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Received notice of computer infested code#268d3 scam? gave

Customer Question

received notice of computer infested code#268d3 scam?
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: gave me ph#(###) ###-####
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: said all info will be hacked
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

This is a well known scam. Do NOT give this company remote access.

Here's how the computer fraud works:

Typically, it begins when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft. Scammers of this kind generally try to make you think that they are affiliated with Microsoft, which is not true. They do this so that you will trust them.

In reality, the actual Microsoft has no idea what is going on in any Microsoft computer unless you call their technical support. They do not monitor computers. They never contact people out of the blue and warn them of an infected computer. The number you were told to call is NOT Microsoft.

What these computer scammers do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a fee to install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money, for problems that they are creating with remote access.

Worse that that, if you also let them into your computer, they can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and get your passwords and break into your financial accounts. So if the above sounds like what happened to you, you are at great risk.

The people who commit a crime like this are professional thieves and when you go to them to try to get further assistance and a refund, they do neither and typically just disappear on you. That's when you discover that the company isn't really who, what or where it says it is.

If the above sounds like what happened to you, and you have not given them remote access or paid them any money, cut these scammers off altogether and consider yourself very lucky. There is nothing really wrong with your computer.

If you did give them remote access or if they gave you software to install in your computer, you need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of the pin numbers and passwords.

From there, if you can find out who and where this company really is, you can take legal action against them for the return of your money. But most important is your computer security.

You also want to monitor your financial accounts carefully so that you can report any unauthorized withdrawals and get your money back. If you paid by credit card, for example, you want to report the scam to your card carrier, initiate a chargeback so that the fee you paid is refunded and then cancel that card and open up a new one. If you are concerned about your bank account and other cards as well, you can cancel those accounts too -- better safe than sorry -- and open up new ones.

Following those precautions should keep all of your accounts secure.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.