Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I got scammed on a loan consolidation worth about $1270. The

Customer Question

I got scammed on a loan consolidation worth about $1270. The only infor nation I have on them is that they are located in South Caroline and the phone number that I was using to call them is now disconnected. They stated that they were Advance America online Loan Service and I'm embarrassed to say that I paid them completely with ITunes cards. Is there any way of tracing them back through the phone number???? Thank you.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: The dates of the fraud began on 9/12/19 through 9/1416.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Please can you provide me with the contact number you had for them, which I understand is no longer in service. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1803(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Thank you very much. I will review the relevant information and sources and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the live phone call request and for the website address. I am unable to talk a the moment as I am in court today. However, please leave it with me and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hit the button to just have you call me. Please call me ASAP, as I have some added info to share. Thank you Ben.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a different expert. I can assist you with this if you still need help.

As you have already figured out, youi're the victim of a loan scam. It is illegal in the US to condition the payment of a loan on the payment of an up-front fee. No legitimate lender would charge such a fee.

Of course, scammers won't call it an up front fee. They will claim it's collateral or it's a refundable deposit, a transfer fee or something else that may sound logical to you. But all the same it's an up-front fee. Any bona fide lender would subtract any real expenses from the cash they have set aside to lend you and just give you the balance of the loan. It also goes without saying that a real company wouldn't want a payment with iTunes cards. The only reason for that request is that it makes the money you have had stolen from you untraceable.

There is a real loan company in South Carolina called Advance America. It does businss as AARC, LLC and is lawfully registered with the South Carolina Secretary of State. It was incorporated in Delaware in 1998 and is an active South Carolina company in good standing with the state, meaning it is up to date on its annual filings and fees.

That said, you haven't been dealing with the real Advance America. Scammers are fond of using the names of well known companies or a variation of their real name to make you think you're dealing with a valid company. In this case, your scammer is actually Cash Advance America, and there are many, many scam reports about them on the web. In this scam report, the victim was told to send up front funds in by Money Pak. Here is still one more report about the same company, and I can find you more.

Scammers know how to disappear into cyberspace by disconnecting their phones and by having given you phony contact information. Finding them to get your money back is going to be a job for the police.

You should report the scam to your local police, to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center and to the Federal Trade Commission at The only chance you have of getting your funds back is if law enforcement can find out who and where your scammers are and bring them to justice so that you can sue them or have them prosecuted for fraud.

I can give you one piece of good news, however. When you're the victim of a crime -- and you are -- your losses are tax deductible. So you can get some of your $1,270 back in the form of a deduction when you file your 2016 taxes.

If you would still like a phone call, let me know and I will be happy to contact you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.