Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience

Actually it's a romantic scam. I met him back in May of this

Customer Question

Actually it's a romantic scam.
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I met him back in May of this year on Facebook. He supposedly lives in Plattsmouth, NE. has a 12 year old daughter, is in the construction and building business and is now in Nigeria supossedly working. I have his phone number (if it is his) in Nebraska.
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: He asked me for $100.00 for his daughters birthday after I told him I wanted to buy it here and send it to her. I ended up sending the money by MoneyGram to a Nigerian, but James said he received it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you.

I would agree that many of the things you stated are the kinds of things that a scammer in a romance scam says. And unfortunately, because these criminals use fake names (often backed up by fake pictures lifted off the internet/social media) looking them up by name isn't effective.

Was there something specific you wanted answered? Are you wanting an opinion as to whether this is a romance scam? Wanting to know if you can recover the money?