Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I have a letter telling me that I have been selected as the

Customer Question

I have a letter telling me that I have been selected as the winner in the American Mega Million Lottery of $350,000 and they enclosed a check drawn on Bank of American for $6,650,00 to help with taxes, insurance, handling and shipping fees???
I do NOT remember ever entering this lottery nor have I of them ever heard of them.
They provided the name of an agent, Lewis Ross for me to contact as he is the Claims Manager with his phone number 1-***-***-****. I called the number and received a voice message that the owner has not activated this number and when I do get in touch with them to pkease let them know to activate the number.
This just does not sound on the up and up to me. Your thot's please.
Tom Watts
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is there a postal or web address on the letter at all? If so, please can you provide it so that I can take a look into it for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
talking is more productive

Hi there. Thank you for your request for a phone call. I am unable to talk at the moment but if you provide the information requested, I will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message after you have provided the information as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when could we talk?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there another attny I can TALK with about this?

Sorry we are not always available to talk as we could be at work, travelling or simply not in a position to talk at the time you need a call. But anyway, what you are involved in is a clear scam. Such types of scams, also known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them.

The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:

{C}· You are contacted, usually out of the blue, and informed you have won a lottery or other draw. However, you cannot win unless you have consciously bought a ticket or entered it in some way - no one just gives money away like that.

{C}· Before the prize materializes, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as a clearance fee, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. In reality, a genuine winner would never have to pay anything in advance to get their winnings. You may not have been asked to do so yet but it is just a matter of time and often this request is made right at the last minute, once they have gained your trust. What usually happens is that they send you a fake check and then asked to pay the fees, so by the time you realise the check is fake and the money has not cleared, you have sent them your money and that is what they would take from you in this scam

DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them.

If you wish to report this scam, you can do so in a number of ways:

· You can forward any scam emails and details to: *****@******.***

· If you have received a scam letter you can report this to the US Postal Service by using one of the forms available here: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/filecomplaint.aspx

· If you have already sent money, contact your local State Attorney General

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.