How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23976
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person called me said they r from the irs trying to get me

Customer Question

A person called me said they r from the irs trying to get me I owe money fraud etc the number is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Did this person leave their name and / or email address and company details; if so, please can you provide this information? Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was a recording came to my cell it said this is the IRS this is a tax fraud matter call us asap to avoid further fines and or imprisnment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can they get my cell number no name no nothing I have delt with the IRS before always by mail or a live person comes God for bid lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ben jones u there
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.


I am a different expert, and I can tell you are the victim of a very well-known scam.

The number appears to be a Washington, DC number, but is really a VOIP. That stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, meaning calls are being made over a computer, which can actually be anywhere in the world. Further, as you already seem to know, the IRS does not make these kinds of calls.

Unscrupulous people buy up old marketing lists and use them to call and convince people to pay money they don't really owe. But don't worry. You haven't done anything wrong. The call is just a way of phishing for your personal information and of trying to steal money from you. You can just block and ignore their calls.

Typically the caller will tell you that you owe money and if you don't pay it, the IRS will have you arrested. Nothing is going to happen to you, however. You're not dealing with th IRS.

When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them via certified or registered snail mail. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show them that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call.

If you are unwise enough to disregard the IRS letter, the IRS STILL won't call you. And they won't come after you to arrest you either. They cannot file criminal charges against you without due process. But eventually what would happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you.

We don't have debtor's prisons in this country. Nobody can get arrested for failure to pay a civil debt.

The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here:

The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website:

They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at

If you have a follow up about this, please reply to this question thread. Otherwise, please rate my service to you, as this is the only way that I get credit for my work here.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.