Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have been scammed and talk with Federal Investagation

Customer Question

I have been scammed and talk with Federal Investagation officer in Gadsden
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Alabama and they have been in touch with be since 2pm today and I have
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: telephone #***-***-**** This lady says she is state Lisa with Internal Revenue and she had the confirmation that I had sent them $1550.00.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

This is a very popular scam. The number traces to a NYC mobile phone. The IRS does not make these kinds of calls.

You haven't done anything wrong. The call is just a way of phishing for your personal information and of trying to steal money from you. You can just block and ignore their calls.

Nothing is going to happen to you. The IRS does not make phone calls.

When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them via certified or registered snail mail. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show them that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call.

If you are unwise enough to disregard the IRS letter, the IRS STILL won't call you. And they won't come after you to arrest you either. They cannot file criminal charges against you without due process. But eventually what would happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you.

We don't have debtor's prisons in this country. Nobody can get arrested for failure to pay a civil debt.

The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here:

The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website:

They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.