Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

My husband received a phone call supposedly from the IRS

Customer Question

my husband received a phone call supposedly from the IRS saying that they had a warrant out for him and for him to send $1000.00 dollars immediately and he did so. We want to report this fraud right away and find out what to do if there is anything to do. Can you help us?
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

First, it is good that you were able to recognize this as a scam. It is a common scam that goes around every year after tax season, and the IRS would never demand that you pay money to make a warrant go away. In fact, you wouldn't even be in trouble with the IRS before they conducted an audit, so any trouble would be something you'd know about well in advance.

As far as reporting this fraud, you want to go to your local FBI field office, which you can locate here. You can also report the matter to the Federal Trade Commission (here) as the FTC deals with fraud pertaining to people falsely claiming to represent government agencies. The government takes these crimes very seriously and so they will certainly conduct an investigation. Lastly, you can report the phone number from which your husband was called on websites like 800Notes.com so that the number is ***** in Google and other people can search the number to see your report. These would typically be your reporting options.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....