Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is Barrister Duru Dada from Nigeria on a scam list?

Customer Question

Is Barrister Duru Dada from Nigeria on a scam list ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

The Nigeria Bar Association has created a data base to ensure that people are dealing with real members of the bar when they hold themselves out to be Nigerian lawyers. Unfortunately, that list is not public and searchable. You would need to contact the Nigeria Bar Association and ask if there is such a barrister as Duru Dada licensed to practice law in Nigeria. You can see their contact information here.

However, the call is likely to be unnecessary. People who ask a question like this are typically the targets of an internet advance fee fraud. They have generally been told they are coming into an inheritance or a great deal of money and that a so-called barrister is needed to help release the funds. In reality, the "barrister" is nothing more than a confederate of the scammers' and the money you are wiring for his fees are going to a team of thieves.

I would note that as far back as 10 years ago, the name of Duru Dada has been used in Nigerian inheritance scams. So yes, he's on a scam list. You can read about this here. In this version he's a banker rather than a lawyer, but I'm betting that he's contacted you regarding an inheritance, which is one of the very oldest of the Nigerian advance fee frauds.

If this sounds familiar, there's no need to waste the money to call the Nigerian Bar Association. You've got yourself a scammer. You don't have a dead relative who's left you any money.

Cease contact with the so-called "barrister." He's liar and a thief. Send no money because if you do, it will be gone forever. Report the fraud to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.