Nick-FraudExaminer
Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations
93685840

I HAVE A GIRL IN NIGERIA. SHE FROM ILL. SHE HAS RETURING

Customer Question

I HAVE A GIRL IN NIGERIA. SHE FROM ILL. SHE HAS RETURING AIRLIE TICKET. BUT SAYS IT COST FOR A PLOICE REPORT AN TEST AN SOMETHING CALL BAL TEST BEFORE SHE CAN COME HOME. WITCH ADDS UP TO 1000, SHE WENT THERE TO FIND GOLD BUT SAYS SHE CANT SELL THERE;I ASK HER TO MAIL SOME HERE AN I SEND 4 HER.BUT WONT LET IT LEAVE COUNTRY FEDX CAN DO IT PUT PAPER WORK COST TO LEAVE COUNTRY I WANDER IF SHE TELLIN TRUTH WE TALKED FOR MO
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm currently working on a reply to your question and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, I can confirm for you that this woman you have been communicating with is a romance scammer. Let me explain why:

The main way to identify a scammer is by looking at the overall situation and identifying certain red flags. The typical romance scam works like this:

1) You have met this person online, usually through a dating or social networking website or through instant messaging.

2) The person will usually be located in a different country to you. (In this case Nigeria). Nigeria is the #1 country in the world for reported instances of romance scams in the world.

3) They will strike a long-distance relationship with you, they are very pleasant and romantic, and they are usually attractive in pictures. The romantic relationship typically advances very quickly, often much faster than usual. They may even send you some attractive looking pictures but these pictures will typically be of someone else that they have stolen off the internet.

4) At some point in the relationship they will ask you for money, gifts or something else of value. You have already confirmed that this has happened with the request of the $1000 for a police report and a test. The absolute #1 sign of a romance scammer is a request for money or gifts from you before you have ever met in person. It does not matter what excuse they come up with or what emergency they have, the request for money confirms they are a scammer.

5) Finally, they often request that the payment is made using an unregulated money transfer method, with little or no fraud protection such as Western Union, Moneygram or other instant wire transfer services, Visa/Mastercard Gift Cards, iTunes Gift Card, Money Gram, Western Union, etc. These are also used because it makes tracing the recipients of the money very difficult, if not impossible for law enforcement.

Since your relationship with this person seems to fit this pattern exactly, I can confirm this person is a scammer. I recommend you cease all contact with the person and certainly DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO THEM FOR ANY REASON.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer.

If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Again I am truly sorry to be the bearer of bad news in this case. I know this situation may be hard for you to believe but this person you have been talking to has been setting you up to be scammed. These Nigerian romance scammers are professionals and very good at what they do.

Just remember that once you start sending money, then all that will happen is the person will keep coming up with more and more excuses as to why more money needs to be sent. The excuses will become more and more elaborate until you eventually get fed up and stop sending money because you realize it is a scam. So I am glad you contacted me so that you will not be a victim of this scammer.

If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer. If you feel a did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Hello again, I saw that you were able to view my response a few weeks ago. I wanted to make sure that I was able to fully answer your question because customer satisfaction is very important to me.

Please let me know if there is any additional information that you need. Thanks!