How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23956
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A FCC scammer is on my computer a d my bank account. He

Customer Question

A FCC scammer is on my computer a d my bank account. He tells me not to turn my PC off. Should I shut it down to bet rid of him?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Waiting for answer any way I can get it.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Turning off your computer likely isn't going to solve the problem if this scammer has already hacked into your bank account. You're going to need to take full precautions against identity theft

If you're a victim of identity theft, you are a victim of a crime. You need to report the crime to your local police. If it's an out-of-state or out-of-country matter, you can also report it to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at

From there, to protect yourself further against identity theft, you will want to do the following:

If you have not done this already, you need to contact your bank and all of your credit card carriers, close your accounts and open brand new ones.

Put a fraud alert on your credit history. You do that by notifying any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and asking for one. A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee.

A fraud alert will not affect your credit negatively. It is only to protect you, and it won't change the way you can use your credit card or bank accounts. It just alerts new lenders not to approve new lines of credit without contacting you first. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two. You'll get a copy of your credit history from each of the 3 reporting agencies when you apply for the fraud alert.

Here is the link to Experian.

From there, everyone is entitled to get a free copy of their credit report online, compliments of the Federal Trade Commission., is a government approved, free source to get an annual credit history. You are going to want to monitor your credit report every now and again, just to be sure than nothing unauthorized has occurrred. You'll also need to be vigiliant about looking at your bank and credit card statements and quickly reporting any unauthorized charges, because you won't have to pay them if you report unauthorized charges quickly.

If you gave out your social security number or are concerned that the scammer may have gotten access to it, you are going to want to follow the directions on the Social Security Administration's website here.

If you think they may have your driver's license number, contact your DMV to see whether it's the policy in your state for them to issue you a new license with a new number after your license has been compromised.

If you gave out a copy of your passport, you will need to contact the state department, report that your passport number has been compromised. They will invalidate it and issue you a new one.

Finally, before you can use that computer again, you need to take it in to a bona fide computer tech service and get it completely debugged. Just turning your computer off or running your anti-virus program won't help you if the scammer has put spyware in your computer that allows him to get a hold of your passwords etc and hack into your accounts all over again.

Do not use an online service to do this because many of them are scam outfits. Use a local computer tech that you can see and trust who works for a local, reputable computer tech shop, because they will have to go into your computer files to do this.

Once your computer is debugged change all the passwords and PIN numbers.

Hope this gives you direction. I recognize that this takes a lot of work, but the safety of your accounts is worth it.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.