Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I was called by Direct Escrow to see if I wanted to sell my

Customer Question

I was called by Direct Escrow to see if I wanted to sell my Puerto Bahia villa in Mexico? They offered $2000 less than I paid. It was an unsolicited call. Yhey did not ask for upfront fee
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: Is anyone going to get back to me? I paid the $35 thru paypal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

There is a HUGE amount of scam in the timeshare reseller market. Nobody is buying timeshares these days and people who do manage to sell them usually have to unload the for about half of what they paid for them in the first place.

So a good offer, coming out of the blue in the form of unsolicited contact from a company you've never dealt with before is highly suspicious.

As a result, the rule of thumb is to avoid unsolicited calls from any timeshare reseller service making a too good to be true pitch and charging an up-front fee for its services. There's really no exception to that.

Of course the reseller won't tell you that that they are charging an up front fee. They will call it something else. With a Mexican timeshare, they will claim you owe taxes in Mexico, and they count on the fact that you know nothing about Mexican law, so that you will pay them. And pay them again. And again. In reality, however, no money is ever required to sell your timeshare before the closing.

I have looked up and it seems to be nothing more than a portal. That is, no matter what you click on from their home page, it takes you off of their site to other businesses. Do you have another website for this company or a snail mail address for them?

If you really wish to sell your timeshare and avoid scam, you need to be very cautious and stick to companies who have been around for a while and who have good business reputations and some success in unloading time shares. That this one is a placeholder rather than an actual website is a pretty bad sign.

A useful place to get information before you sign any contract with a reseller is and tug's forum called Tug2 is made up entirely of Timeshare owners who have all learned from their mistakes and are eager to educate others and help them sell or rent their timeshares while avoiding problems with scams. The site has been recommended by consumer expert Clark Howard. Tug2 may have heard of this group. The Better Business Bureau at knows of reputable resellers as well.

I can give you more information about DirectEscrow, if you can reply here to this question thread and give me a web or snail mail address for this company. Otherwise, if they've asked you for money upfront and made unsolicited contact, you need to avoid them.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.