Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection

A hiring manager from a company called ncoded communications

Customer Question

A hiring manager from a company called ncoded communications contacted me saying he got my resume through ziprecruiter. He said that the job I had applied for was taken however there is a personal assistant position open. He said they currently do no have an office in my area but would be opening one shortly. He also said that basically, I would be taking care of administrative duties for the CEO like purchasing gifts for foster home donations. He said that he would set up a formal interview with me. However, that has not happened. He said the benefits offered are AD&D, 401(k), free medical and $500/week for pay. He also asked me what bank I use (no other info requested) and that I would be getting a check in a day or so to purchase gift donations for the foster home listed in the next email sent. I got an email with USPS tracking number. Then, I received an email from another guy from the company today who said I will be dealing with him instead of the hiring manager for my assignments and that I should be expecting a check for the amount of $2860 in the mail in the next day or so. I am to deposit the check via ATM and let them know when received and deposited. I am to take $500 out of that for my pay and use the rest for buying the donated gifts. I did check the tracking number however it says the package came from Pawtucket, CT.
Somehow, this seems a bit fishy to me. Can you please tell me if you think this is a scam? I tried looking online to verify the company, all I found was a small business called Ncoded Communications in Odessa, Florida run by a guy named Peter Rung with the same name.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

YES, this is a scam. A very classic scam. The scammer will be sending you a fake check. The bank will advance you the money once you deposit it, and you will send $500 back to the scammer or to a third party pawn. Then in the next day or two, the bank will note that the check was fake and will take the money away, leaving you with a $500 debt. See HERE.

There is such a business in FL by that name. See HERE. However my guess is that the scammer is using the business' name without the business EVEN KNOWING IT, to give themselves a more legitimate cover story. They have hijacked the business' identity and the business does not realize it. Happens all the time.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the You SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.