Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I am receiving phone calls fromsaying I have an outstanding

Customer Question

I am receiving phone calls from(###) ###-####saying I have an outstanding debt and being charged with fraud. They then say I have 3 options to pay this debt and stop court filing and I need to call them back at(###) ###-####ext 5874 and finish the call by saying "you have been officially notified." Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Yes, this is a fake debt collection scam. The phone number that you were asked to call has already been reported numerous times as associated with this kind of fraud. See here.

Scams like this are quite common. Basically, criminals pose as debt collectors and threaten to sue or event arrest their victims if they don't pay some sort of made up debt. Enough people they call will have a debt of some kind, think that the threat is legitimate, and pay.

In the future, if you are ever in doubt that a debt from a debt collector is real, demand that they provide proof of the debt. You have the legal right to proof under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If they can't supply you with documentation that you owe what they claim, they are breaking the law by continuing their collection efforts. Demanding proof of your debt pursuant to the FDCPA is the easiest way to shut down a scam.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.