Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A former student contacted me on Facebook. Some one from

Customer Question

A former student contacted me on Facebook. Some one from some company, he said mobile Exxon said they gave him 150,000 dollars because he was on a list, and i was on the list, too. He told me to email Rick Pappy Myers and see what i Vould get. It's $150,000. I have to have $1,000 cashfor the person who is going to deliver it, tomorrow some time.
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: I don't understand. The guy never mentioned any sort of company at all. i asked all sortds of questions and got 'real and legit.' over and over. He said not to all anybody about this because there are thieves out there, then he told me to Facebook him when i went to the bank. i responded t say that he may b going to send someone out there to rob my thousand buck. He didn't respond to that. at all. seems very odd, no prior connection to him or anything like this, It just seems to be a scam from hell. My student says he has his money and it was no sweat.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

This is a scam, and it's very well known.

You are not communicating with your former student. His contact information has been hacked and a scammer is impersonating him to try to get all of his Facebook friends to send money to claim a grant of some sort that doesn't really exist. The reason he does not want you to tell anyone is because many will likely know about this scam, and then you won't send the money to him.

You can read more about this fraud here.

You want to contact Facebook about this and get your "former student's" cloned profile taken down. You can also report the scammer to the FBI at IC3.gov, their Internet Crime Complaint Center. If you wired him the thousand dollars, you should also report the fraud to your police.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.