RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.

What is universal lottery i feel that i am a victim of fraud

Customer Question

what is universal lottery i feel that i am a victim of fraud what are my options
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Universal Lottery is indeed one of many similar lottery/sweepstakes scams. These are known as "advanced fee" or "419" scams, because the scammers will contact unsuspecting victims to inform them that they won a lottery or sweepstakes prize, but then tell them that to collect the winnings, they need to pay some type of processing fees or taxes first. Typically, the funds will have to be wired (as wired money is untraceable). Of course, the victim does so, and then their prize never shows up. Another variation on the scam is where the victim gets a check to deposit and has to send back a portion of the prize money. The check unfortunately is a fraud, and by the time it actually is processed and determined to be a fraud, the victim is on the hook for the full value plus all of the fees and penalties.

You cannot win a lottery or sweepstakes you did not win, but of course many scammers are clever enough to use names similar to actual lotteries and sweepstakes, to make people think they DID enter. But no real lottery or sweepstakes will ever ask for money or your bank account information for you to collect your prize. That's a big red flag.

At this point, if you were scammed, unfortunately there is little you can do. These scammers typically operate in foreign countries like Ghana or Nigeria, outside of the reach of authorities, and move around a lot, changing names, IP addresses, etc. They use fake addresses and disposable cell phones. They're very good at what they do, in other words. You can and should report the matter to the authorities, but beyond that, unfortunately, there's little you can do. The harsh reality, from helping many scam victims, is that you're not likely to see any money back.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm sorry the news couldn't be more positive. If there was a way for the money to be paid back in full, I'd tell you. But you deserve to know the truth, and it would be unfair to you and unethical of me to tell you less than that.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

I see that you have not left a positive rating for me yet. Was there something I could clarify for you about my answer, or additional information you needed? If so, please let me know. I'm here to help!

If not, I would kindly ask that you take a moment at this time to click on the stars to leave a positive rating, as that is the only way I am credited for my time and assistance, even if you have left a deposit. Remember that you can always ask follow-up questions in this thread at no additional cost after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there some additional information or clarification I could provide? If so, please reply, as I'm happy to assist further!

If not, please kindly remember at this time to click on the stars to leave me a positive rating, as that is the only way experts are paid on this site. Thank you!