Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

I sent 621.00 to Jamaica to a Petunia Gardener and it was a

Customer Question

I sent 621.00 to Jamaica to a Petunia Gardener and it was a scam. How do I get my money back? If I dont it will be my fault for believing someone who constantly called me .
My name is***** paid of a credit card but I later found out that he paid it with my checking account! LOL
*** ********
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Good morning Ann. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately, the chances of ever getting your money back are extremely remote. These overseas scammers are very predatory and skilled at playing on people's vulnerabilities. They also operate from places outside the reach of US law enforcement, where the local authorities show or have little interest in stopping them.
You can make an online report to the FBI at www.IC3.gov, but even the FBI is over stretched in trying to protect people from these overseas scammers. The best defense is to maintain a policy of NEVER sending money overseas to people you have met on the internet. It is safe to assume that ANYONE overseas who asks for money is scamming you.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not  a moral judgement on my part.  As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.