Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.

2 men came to my home wanting to sign up for solar energy

Customer Question

2 men came to my home wanting to sign up for solar energy they said they were from green energy is that a legit co.
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: i think i gave them too much info now im worried! im 68 yrs old and on disabilty from the navy what should i do?
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: i dont know
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm finding several companies with similar names. Where are you located? Did they give you a website address I could look at?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cleveland ohio they did not give anything, that is why im trying to find out if i messed up they got my ss# ***** lic# ***** cell phone # and date of birth

Ohio has 54 registered companies with "Green Energy" in the name. Did they give you anything with a full name on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they did not show me anything. i feel relly stupid i thought after they ran my info they would show stuff and talk about it but they just left and said i woud hear from them in a couple of days after they ran the credit check. that was on mon.

There's unfortunately no way for me to check them out without more information. However, I've never heard of a scam where people go door-to-door collecting personal information by pretending to be a solar company. Most scam artists are located in foreign countries. They don't want to get caught, so the last thing they want is you to be able to give police an accurate description of them. Also, what you're describing is very time-consuming. Scam artists are out there looking to make a quick buck. They'll spend weeks or even months on a particular scam, but they're usually working on multiple scams at once. What you're talking about is too labor intensive to fit the general scam artist profile.

One option here is to check your credit report to see if there is a recent inquiry. That will give you the company's name. You can get a free copy from the government at You could also call the credit bureaus and place an alert on your credit, just in case. The only other thing is to wait until they get back to you - which they probably will - and get their full name so I can do more research.