Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I've been chatting with a girl for about 2 weeks now,

Customer Question

I've been chatting with a girl for about 2 weeks now, thought things were going good , then all of a sudden she has this big issue, next she wanting my mailing address so she can mail her luggage to me along with $670,000
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like you don't need me to tell you this is a scam, because you are already aware of how very irregular it would be for anyone to have developed the kind of trust necessary to send you $670,000 after you have only bee chatting on line for two weeks and before you've ever met.

Simply put, ANY online romance who involves you in any way with his or her finances before you have established a real time, in-person, committed actual dating relationship is a fraud. NOBODY legitimate would send you this kind of money.

It's actually just an excuse to be able to get money from you. Because what will happen -- and we see it here over and over many times every day -- is that you'll be told that something will happen to that suitcase: it will be stopped by Customs, for example. And you'll be told that in order to get the suitcase released and the contents mailed to you, you'll be told to use moneygram or western union and send thousands of dollars off to a so-called agent to get the money sent on its way.

If you are gullible enough to fall for it and to send the "agent" money, there will only be another snag that will cost you even more money. And more. And more. And more. And more, until your money runs out or until you catch wise, whichever comes first.

Cease all contact with this scammer. She's a thief and a liar. There's no suitcase. There's no $670,000, and there isn't even a real woman. The person you've been chatting with is using a fake identity and phony photo. She isn't who, what or where she says she is.

Report her to the FBI at IC3.gov, their internet crime complaint center.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.