RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.

I was approached by a MaryAnn who said she was from Facebook

Customer Question

I was approached by a MaryAnn who said she was from Facebook & that they were giving me US$500,000 as a prize they even had someone saying he was Mark Zukerberg & that i would receive their check on receipt of US$250 I challenged them as this Mary Ann started befriending many of my FB Friends & I warned People on Facebook she finally said she was COO of Facebook Sheryl Sandberg & that it was legit
then I received this from the alleged Mark Zukerberg as i told them that I was banned from Western Union & from Moneygram so then they have given me this account to put money into" Mark Zuckerberg Founder & CEO
Typically replies within an hour
Chat Conversation Start
SUN 8:26PM
Okay i will send you the information and you go strait to bank and deposit the money there
MON 7:09AM
I await your information of what bank to deposit it in& Account number name of Person whose account it is
Sorry Philomena Cornu I have been busy all day today so here is the bank account information where you are to send the money too
Bank name: Credit Union
Name:Kara Amell
Routing number###-##-####
Account Number 65101092
Philomena Cornu You are to get back to with the payment slip Okay
which credit union? i cant pay by moneygram or Western Union you said you had abank Account here in Australia?
Oh Philomena Cornu that was the Bank Name?
Name:Kara Amell
Routing number###-##-####
Account Number 65101092
sorry mark I realized after im so sick with bronchitis & asthma today so pardon me
the system has been down all morning
Chat Conversation End
Type a message...
I think it's all a big con what do you think?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

You have a right to be suspicious, as this is a scam. You can look here or do a search for "Facebook Lottery Scam." Facebook is not running any contest or lottery where they are giving away money. This is an "advanced fee, or 419 scam" where they tell you that in order to collect your prize, you have to wire money to them. Wired funds cannot be traced, which is what makes it appealing to criminals.

Alternatively, they may want you to deposit a check that they send you, but the check will eventually bounce, leaving you responsible for the money and the fees.

Total scam. Ignore the person and report the matter to Facebook.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!